Audemars Piguet Watches
Audemars Piguet(AP) is one of the most recognizable luxury watch brands in the world. This Swiss manufacturer is based in La Brassus, Switzerland. It was founded by Edward Auguste Piguet and Jules Louis Audemars in 1875. It has been a mainstay of the industry since its foundation while remaining a family owned business.
Since it was formed, Audemars Piguet has produced some popular watches. Some designs have shaped the course of the industry.
The following are notable:
1. The Royal Oak: It is the most popular watch sold by Audemars Piguet. It was introduced in 1972 having being designed by Gerald Genta. The iconic Royal Oak pioneered the concept of a luxury sports watch and was the subject of numerous other spin-offs. It still dominates the company’s sales.
2. Royal Oak OffShore: The company commissioned it to mark 20 years of the Royal Oak. It was bigger than the original and was also a commercial success.
3. Ladies Royal Oak: Female version of the Royal Oak.
4. Royal Oak Automatic
6. Millenary Chronograph Automatic
7. Perpetual Calendar
8. Millenary Chronograph Tour Automatic Limited Edition
10. Haute Joaillerie
There are over 180 brands currently sold by Audemars Piguet
Why are Audemars Piguet Watches expensive?
It is no secret that Audemars Piguet prices are high. How can the company justify the high prices it places on its products? The reasons why an Audemars Piguet costs many times more than an ordinary timepiece are:
• The company’s rich heritage
• Traditional production methods i.e. hand assembly
• Rich materials
• High demand
• Limited production
Rich heritage and tradition are intangible qualities that are extremely significant in pricing. In the world of horology, old names such as AP have stayed true to the traditional ways of doing things characterized by attention to details, lofty standards, and world-class craftsmanship. Unsurprisingly, the manufacturing process is done by hand. This practice is driven by necessity because it allows them to pay incredibly high attention to the tiniest details. For example, the Royal Oak design featured white golden screws. This property alone was lauded for giving the watch a unique look.
AP watches are also known for their unique movements (designed in-house) and iconic designs that make the watches both effective and aesthetically on point.
The watches are made using rich materials. For example, some of the watches are made using black ceramic which is hard to machine because it requires special skill sets and special precision tools. When the craftsmen complete their work, they obtain a polished finish that is easy on the eyes and extremely difficult to replicate. This also adds to the reason why they manufacture by hand.
Due to the quality of Piguet watches and their history, they are seen as status symbols. People are eager to spend thousands of dollars to buy them. This means that they stay in demand. The mechanics of demand and supply dictates that the ap prices stay high because the watches are not in high supply yet the demand is big. Furthermore, the ap watch price is often brushed aside as a deciding factor.
Why are Audemars Piguet watches popular?
Many people buy ap watches in spite of the prices attached to them. This can be attributed to the following reasons:
• AP watches are long lasting: Since they are well made, they can last generations.
• They are water resistant
• They come in different colors and materials: It makes it easier for fashion designers to match their clothes with the timepieces
• There are watches for both genders: Designs come in pairs to cater for both male and female inclinations.
• The watch movements are distinct:
• The materials used are both long lasting and visually appealing
• The signature movements
• The legendary craftsmanship: It is evident in the design, the working, and the finishes of AP watches.
AP has been keen to partner with celebrities to help market the brand to great success. The watches made their entry into Hollywood when they famously debuted in the Terminator movies. Then they got endorsed by the lead actor of the film who later became California’s governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Audemars Piguet has partnered with reality television personality, Kim Kardashian and music artists such as John Mayer, Harry Styles, and Jay Z.
AP watches have also been endorsed by elite sporting personalities such as Novak Djokovic, Lebron James, Lionel Messi, Rory Mcllroy, Michael Schumacher, and Serena Williams.
The fact that Audemars Piguet watches have been around for longer than a century is no mean feat. The brand has survived tough economic times, wars, and stiff competition. In 1918 and 1919, the company lost its two founders but it still went on to do well until the Great Depression came about.
Audemars Piguet continued to develop new models that were received well. A good example was the ultra-thin chronograph and the skeleton watch which were both created before the Second World War.
In the seventies, the company created the iconic Royal Oak watch. The watch saved the company from going under and cemented them as one of the four biggest Swiss watchmakers.